Valkyrie Profile Tools

Ce forum est dédié, comme il l'indique à tout ce qui concerne la traduction de Valkyrie Profile en français.
Unknown Master

Valkyrie Profile Tools

Message non lu par Unknown Master » 11 sept. 2009, 23:40

Hello, peoples!

I'm a great fan of the game Valkyrie Profile (PSX Version) and I'm planning to translate the game into my native language, Portuguese (I'm from Brazil =P). I'm a member of F.U.T. (Fórum Unificado de Tradução), a translation group from Brazil (http://www.romhackers.org). For a long time, I was looking for some translation tools in order to translate THE CLASSIC
Valkyrie Profile (PSX Version). We want to translate this game into Portuguese Language.

I'm sorry, I don't know french, but I can understand english easily, so, I'll speak in the forum using English Language. I've been searching around the google for a long time for VP Translation Projects, and I found this project!

I'm looking for some translation tools in order to translate the game Valkyrie Profile (PSX Version). Reading the topics here, I saw some dialogs/fonts editions. I presume that you created some translation tools for your translation...

Is it possible for you to share the tools with us - Brazilian Players?

Best regards from Brazil!

Pixel
Codeur à l'irc dormant

Re: Valkyrie Profile Tools

Message non lu par Pixel » 12 sept. 2009, 00:05

This game is awfully difficult to work with, because their authors tried very hard in order to obfuscate and compress it. I eventually made a proof of concept hack in order to show people around that it's still possible to work with this level of difficulty, but the tools and all the work involved in that is pretty difficult to share. It still requires load of programming, and even though I have an almost complete toolchain to work with all versions of the game (PSX/PSP & US/Jap), it'd require some adaptation for another language, ie, programming knowledge. Furthermore, it's the kind of tool that's quite obscure to use, as it's complex, but still design for only one game.

In short: I'd need to talk with one of your programmers in order to give him my work and explain him how to use it. Also, there's still work to do around that hack, so any contribution from you would be highly welcomed. But again, it requires programming knowledge.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence, and the trolls in the marketing department.

Unknown Master

Message non lu par Unknown Master » 12 sept. 2009, 18:15

Hello, Pixel. Thanks for the reply.

I know, this game is really very and awfully difficult to work on it. Here in Brazil, many translation groups are giving up to hack and translate the game, because of hard compression... In fact, I decided to translate the game by myself. Yes, I'm alone on this ship =)

I have a C++ code here. I'm trying to build some tools to work on the PSX VP Translation. But it' very hard. The features (for now) are:

1. Scan the ISO and dump decompressed texts (raw format, front is text, rear is FONT) to a folder;
2. Decompress/Compress routines (SLZ01 & SLZ02)

Partially, it works but I have to implement some things. I'm planning to code a tool (RAW Text Parser and Importer) too, but it requires a long, LONG time. Like you said, hack this game is very difficult. Because of this, I was looking some tools in order to help me.

If your tools can extract the fonts, dialogs and reinsert them like I saw around the posts, it would be extremly useful for me. I'm a programmer, but I must say, not so good. But I have friends that can help me. Well, if you wish to share your toolchain and explain me how to use it , you can send me a PM, or e-mail me. I'm not scared if your tools are via command-line :)

Don't worry, if I translate the game sucessfully, the credit for tools would be given for you too.

If you are interested, I can send my source code for you too. But, you must know C++, so you can implement it if you wish. If I build a RAW Text Parser and Importer sucessfully, I can share it with you too.

My best regards,

Unknown Master

Pixel
Codeur à l'irc dormant

Message non lu par Pixel » 13 sept. 2009, 07:30

This is probably going to be easier (or more difficult, depending on your point of view) than you thought. Somehow.

My toolchain for VP is written in Lua at 99%, using a fully custom tool of mine. The toolchain isn't complete, there are still some details to work out, and I'm still missing some files in the hack. As with every project, once you've done the first 90%, you have to start working on the remaining 90%.

In all cases, in order to show you how this works, and how to use it, I really need to talk to you on an immediate medium, such as IRC. You can find me idling on most IRC networks (worldnet, quakenet, freenode) under the nickname "|Pixel|". Also, note that I live on the west coast of the USA, which means my timezone is UTC-8. That should be pretty close to yours, but that can play a huge part when you try to talk to me. So don't hesitate to give me a wall-of-text, and I'll catch up as soon as I get back in front of a computer.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence, and the trolls in the marketing department.

Unknown Master

Message non lu par Unknown Master » 26 sept. 2009, 02:41

Hello, Pixel.

I'm sorry, I don't use IRC. To tell you the truth, I never use it =P

If you wish, you can find me on MSN Messenger: Manuelytto_000@hotmail.com
So we can talk about the VP Project.

See ya!

Pixel
Codeur à l'irc dormant

Message non lu par Pixel » 26 sept. 2009, 18:03

Added.

Répondre